Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Books

I tried to do a book entry a couple of weeks ago. It took two hours to do and I lost it due to link tag problems. Very discouraging. But my son and also my blogging friend Mrs. Darling said it was because I did it on the laptop and so I will try again on the desk top. If it works you will know because the entry will be up. If it doesn't work you won't know because I will smash this thing with a baseball bat and end my blogging career forever!!!

Anyway. I love reading to my kids. It has always been one of my favorite things about homeschooling. I love to share all the books I loved as a kid with them, and also finding new treasures. My boys now are 8, 6, 5 and 2. The Eight and six year old are really starting to be more interested in being read to and being able to follow chapter books. It is so much fun! It is also fun because as little boys thier interests are so much different than the girls. But we have been reading a lot lately. Here are a few offerings...


OK, this was for me. Some picture books just are. I loved it.


Lately the kids have been very interested in Japan. They also used these comics to teach themselves a few kanji characters.



And a few chapter books for the boys...

"Henry and Ribsy" is an old friend. The boys loved it. And I think it was my third or fourth time reading "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe". But the boys were a fresh audience and so it was just as fun as the first. "Viking Adventure" is out of print, I got it from the library. But it looks like Amazon has it used. It was a good live history book for the boys. I would pick it up again.
Another great find is the LibriVox site. Oh, if you haven't discovered this, you simply must check it out! We are listening to Our Island Story by H.E. Marshall It is a wonderful recording. Owen especially requestsit-even in the evening for entertainment. Definately worth incorporating into a day. The chapters are very short, too, though like potato chips we don't ever consume just one.

And for me..

I love the vision Andrew Murray lays out for prayer. I go off and on with prayer, sometimes I seem to be praying all the time and at other times... alas... But this book is very encouraging and inspiring.

So... what's on your book shelf these days?

1 comment:

  1. It took me a few days to get to read this. You have some great books going.

    My kids still love to be read to; right now we are going slowly through Great Expectations and a little more quickly through The Dragonfly Pool by Eva Ibbotson.

    As for me, I've been working on Love The Lord Your God with all Your Mind by J. P. Moreland. And a novel - The Dream of Scipio that is too hard to explain right now.

    Good to see some writing from you!

    ReplyDelete