Saturday, April 18, 2009

What's going on around here..

Since Noelle was born we have had so much trouble getting back on schedule!  I've tried re instituting it and staying on track for a day or two, only to have it completely fall apart after a few days.  Very frustrating!  Part of it was sickness, which finally seems to be clearing up, but I think  lot of it was just that the old schedule wasn't fitting our lifestyle anymore.  I started using the old schedule when the basic ages of our children were "School Age" and "Baby/Toddler".  Now we have teens in there too. They like to stay up late to work on projects or read while the house is quiet.  They just don't go to bed at 8:30!  Go figure.  Anyway, here is our new schedule-

8-9:00 Get up, get coffee, get dressed, chat etc.
9-9:30 Shayleen makes breakfast with Owen's help (He takes this job so seriously.  It's so funny.)
9:30-10 Eat
10-11:30 Clean house-I have the house on a simple rotating schedule.
11:30-2  Schoolwork
2-3:00 Quiet time (and oh, how we need it!)
3-4:00 Music practice (If it hasn't already been done) 
4-5:00 Shayleen makes dinner with Elisa's help.
6:00 Dinner
7:00 Family devotions
8:00 Little boys get their teeth brushed and have stories read to them.
Then the older kids get the run of the house.  :)  The little boys aren't too crazy about this, but they will just have to get used to it. They can still hear life going on from their room.  But it gives the older kids their time to watch more mature movies, get out games that have a lot of pieces and actually play on the floor if they like, cut out sewing patterns, etc.  We have been on this schedule for about two weeks and it seems to be going really well.

 Also, I used to not schedule the hour for wake up time.  I just scheduled the time when we needed to start getting things done.  I figured if one wanted time to sit in a chair and space out the window or time to check their email they should plan to get up a little earlier to do it.  But they didn't seem to catch up on that concept. They got up right when they had to and it didn't make for smooth mornings.  Also, it limits me, because if they are sitting spacing out or  spending time taking inane quizzes on facebook, I won't stress out on them about time use because this IS their time to do it and there is a stop time already implemented so I don't have to nag.  Whew.  So nice when a small simple thing can cure a problem!

3 comments:

  1. Hmm well it looks like nothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great plan. Though our family is far different from yours, we are in need of a routine tune-up too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason, I got it into my head that to be a proper homeschooling mom I had to get up at 5am, kids up at 6am. I'm not a morning person. At all. So, you can imagine the frustration this preconceived idea has given me. I'm amazed at how many people do not get up that early, but they have a more leisurely pace to their day and in the end accomplish much more than me - bleary eyed and struggling to stay awake by 7am.

    Thank you for sharing your schedule! :)

    ReplyDelete