Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Artist Statement Revised

"All my life I have been blessed to live in the Pacific Northwest. Everywhere I go I am always inspired and exhilarated by the beauty that continually surrounds me. Desire to give voice and thanks for that beauty through art wells up inside me. 
I believe art is important. Through art we surround ourselves with images that contribute to influencing our hearts. I believe that surrounding oneself with pictures of beauty, strength abundance, grandeur and joy contribute to building those qualities in our own lives. I want to create art that assists us in focusing on what is real and good and true in this world. 
I am also a believer in the Living God of the Bible. I hope through my art to give thanks to Him and also to remind myself and others of His goodness, promises, and commands whether through image, symbol, or word. I believe art is an act of worship. I like to work with different mediums depending on the message or image I am attempting to portray. The vast array of materials to artists in these days are a constant inspiration and temptation to me.
"O worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness, fear before Him all the earth." Psalm 96:9"

I revised my artists statement on Etsy today. I don't want to come across as "preachy" But I do want to accurately portray who I am as an artist and why I chose to paint the things I do and where I am coming from.

Thoughts?



4 comments:

  1. It certainly sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great! There is a difference between "preachy" and honest. It's important to represent yourself honestly - not to cover up for fear of appearing a certain way.
    If you don't mind me pointing out a typo - "I am also a believe" instead of "believer".
    I love your view that your art is an act of worship :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, gosh Handmaden, thank you for pointing that out. I would have left it there forever. :/

    ReplyDelete